HHB Communications Ltd Plastic Packaging Tax Statement
What is the Plastic Packaging Tax?
This new tax, which will come into force on April 1st, 2022, will apply to plastic packaging imported into, the UK, that does not contain at least 30% recycled plastic.
The tax will apply to manufacturers who import certain finished plastic packaging materials, or importers of finished goods that contain plastic packaging, and the packaging remains in the UK.
This applies to both UK and overseas based organisations importing into the UK. If the manufacturer relies on the distributor to import the goods into the UK, then the distributor takes on the manufacturers responsibility to pay the tax in the UK.
What is the purpose of the tax?
To increase the use of recycled material in the production of plastic packaging. The tax will encourage businesses to work with suppliers of products whose packaging includes recycled material. Demand for recycled material is expected to increase the collection and recycling of waste plastic – reducing the amount which is landfilled or incinerated.
The rate is £200 per tonne of chargeable plastic packaging components.
HHB Communications Ltd will, where possible, investigate ways to mitigate any cost increases to its customers however where this is not possible costs may be passed through the supply chain.
HHB Communications Ltd is fully committed to reducing its environmental impact through a range of initiatives. To comply with the plastic packaging tax we will:
- Work with suppliers to gather the required information quickly and efficiently either directly and/or by engaging a 3rd party specialist
- Identify in scope, out of scope, and exempt packaging
- Identify packaging that has a recycled content of 30% or greater
- Confirm if HHB Communications Ltd and its relevant subsidiaries are under, meet or exceed the 10-tonne tax
- Determine our Plastic Packaging Tax liability
- If we meet the requirement, HHB Communications Ltd will register on the HMRC website to confirm that we import more than 10 tonnes of plastic packaging
- Report accurately with best endeavours, to complete our HMRC tax declarations
- If requested by HMRC, provide evidence for all exemptions and recycled content declarations
- Identify which of our suppliers contribute the most to our liabilities for future targeted packaging improvements